Each year, Lakmé Salon crafts a set of looks that are aligned with the current trends and in tune with the preferences of the Indian audience. The year 2018 highlights ‘Timeless Brides Reinvented’ which is a collection that pairs ancient with the modern, age-old techniques with new-age sensibilities and classic styles with contemporary trends.
Our experts have taken inspiration from the rich culture and tradition of our past and carefully crafted each look as a fusion of complimentary styles. The bride of today is rooted in tradition yet modern in her outlook and this collection celebrates her spirit.
The looks have been further accentuated by the gorgeous collection from Payal Singhal Design studio.
LOOK 1: QUEEN OF HEARTS (Quintessential)
- OPENER: ‘Queen of Hearts’ is a tribute to the classic Indian bride. The modern version is inspired by the glorious Gupta period, and features the vibrant hues of the traditional bridal red, a hint of gold shimmer, and a refined sense of style for the bride of today.
- TRIVIA: The leaf motif was key during the Gupta era and is widely seen in sculptures of that period.
- HAIR: Elegant bouffant and barrel curls cascading over one another.
- MAKEUP: Red and gold shimmery eyes, a dewy base and bold red lips.
- NAILS: A maroon base in henna line strokes and a dazzle of glitzy Swarovski stones
LOOK 2: PRINCESS OF POP (Pastel)
- OPENER: ‘The Princess of Pop’ brings together elegant pastel hues and the influence of pearls to create a stunningly gorgeous bride. This look takes cues from the rich artistic heritage of the Satavahana period, creating a refreshing amalgamation of modern day sensibilities and traditional styles.
- TRIVIA: The pearls are an influence of the Satvahana period where beads were used extensively in jewellery and clothing.
- HAIR: Intertwined matted hair leading to a textured, intricately crafted bun.
- MAKEUP: Pink halo shimmery eyes, dewy skin, highlighted cheeks and soft baby pink spotlight lips.
- NAILS: A pink pastel base with glittery crisscross line art and pearl stone work.
LOOK 3: THE SUNSHINE GODDESS (Morning Bride)
- OPENER: ‘Sunshine Goddess’ is a majestic tribute to the Vijaya Nagara period. It borrows a strong influence from the warm colors, elegant patterns and intricate detailing that was characteristic of this era. The bridal look has a beautiful contemporary touch that works beautifully for day time ceremonies.
- TRIVIA: The gorgeous long braid is a recurring characteristic of beautifully carved stone sculptures and paintings of the Vijaya Nagara period.
- HAIR: An elegant bun weaving into a long, elaborate braid bedecked with fresh flowers.
- MAKEUP: Bronzed golden eyes with defined liner, dewy skin and saffron, metallic lips.
- NAILS: Henna art with emerald green stones on a golden base colour and a frosty pink sugar effect on a single nail.
LOOK 4: MAHARANI OF MAGIC (Outdoor)
- OPENER: ‘Maharani of Magic’ is a lyrical fusion of the aesthetics and styles from the Gupta period and modern bridal trends. The ornate styles from the era, have been reinvented to suit the new age bride. The look features the shades of Ultra-violet which is the colour of the year.
- TRIVIA: The elegant leaf motifs that stand out in this look are a representation of the Gupta period where elements of nature and trees were often pictured in a blend of colours.
- HAIR: A large beehive with side buns, multi knotted on one side.
- MAKEUP: Purple smoky halo eyes, dewy skin and pink ombre lips
- NAILS: A greyish-purple base with glitter art on one nail.
LOOK 5: ROYAL MUSE (Royal)
- OPENER: ‘Royal Muse’ is designed for the bride who believes in timeless elegance. A medley of delicate, ethereal styles, this look beautifully combines the inspiration from the Shunga period with modern influences and is one that truly stands the test of time.
- TRIVIA: The elaborate hairstyle in this look resembles the elegant wreath as seen in sculptures of this era.
- HAIR: Top knots and lustrous sculpts around the head, with a soft side parting for the front.
- MAKEUP: Kholadian extended liner, dewy skin with red- orange ombre lips
- NAILS: A light pink base with glitzy Swarovski stones placed in a rounded French manicure style.
LOOK 6: Vivacious Mallika (The Eclectic Bride)
- OPENER: ‘Vivacious Mallika’ is an ode to the free-spirited bride looking for styles that reflect her fun-loving personality. Inspired by the famed Shunga period, it is influenced by the simple yet indigenous art from the era and is a true celebration of rich tradition and contemporary styling.
- TRIVIA: The beautiful swirls of hair are an aesthetic representation of the wreath from the Shunga period. The sculptures with red sandstone are an important color influence for the period.
- HAIR: Long, loose hair with elegant loops, waved separation swirls and floral details at the end.
- MAKEUP: Golden graphic glitter liner, dewy skin, peach spotlight lips
- NAILS: A shiny silver base colour with silver stone art in a dripping glitter pattern.
LOOK 7 – New – Age APSARA (The Fusion Sangeet Look)
- OPENER: ‘Urban Apsara’ is a splendid look deeply inspired by gorgeous spiral motifs of the Harappan civilization. A mélange of modern trends and ancient Harappan styles make it perfect for the bride of today who is contemporary yet deeply rooted in tradition.
- TRIVIA: The hair braided is a reflection of the curved and spiral motifs inspired from of the Harappan age.
- HAIR: Long triple braids in varied textures interlocked to create a loose loop at the back.
- MAKEUP: Aqua liner, contoured face and soft apricot lips
- NAILS: Sugar powder, a golden dripping pattern, a French manicure with beautiful blue stones and a leaf pattern on one nail.
LOOK 8 –– MAJESTIC SULTANA (The Cocktail Look)
- OPENER: ‘Majestic Sultana’ is perfect for any wedding function. It finds its inspiration in the Mughal period. A sense of elegant grandeur surrounds the look and it is specially curated for the urban bride who likes to stay ahead of trends.TRIVIA: The netted garment is a direct inspiration from the intricate archways of the Mughal era. The colors blue and green carry the legacy of that time.
- HAIR: Soft, elegant braiding in the front leading to open, lustrous tresses with swirls.
- MAKEUP: Garnet smoky eyes, dewy skin and red ombre lips
- NAILS: A sky blue base colour topped off with golden dangles in feather art style.